EcoPeace held its Annual Regional Conference, entitled “Water Security and Sustainable Development for our Common Future”, under the patronage of H.E. Dr. Hazim El-Nasser, Jordanian Minister of Water & Irrigation.
The conference brought together high level national decision makers from Jordan, Israel and Palestine, residents and mayors from cross-border communities, international stakeholders and media.
Access to water and water security issues was the focus of the first day of discussions, with a special focus on Israeli / Palestinian water issues. The Jordan Valley and river rehabilitation was the focus of the second day and included the participation of transboundary basin commissioners from around the world (U.S., Mexico, Germany, South Africa and Balkan States) who shared their experiences and lessons learned.
The following are links to videos, written speeches or power point presentations of each speaker and panel.
DAY 1 – November 22, 2016
– Opening words by Ghazi Musharbash, Chairman of the Board of Directors, EcoPeace Middle East (video)
– Welcoming words by H.E. Saed Abu Hamour, General Secretary of the Jordan Valley Authority, Jordan (video)
– Welcoming words by H.E. Ayoub Kara, Deputy Minister of Regional Cooperation, Israel (video)
– Speech by Erik Ullenhag, Ambassador of Sweden to Jordan (link to written speech)
– Panel on the Water & Sanitation Crisis in Gaza, moderated by Gidon Bromberg, EcoPeace Israeli Co-Director (video)
– Panel on Water & Sanitation in the West Bank (part I), moderated by Nader Khateeb, EcoPeace Palestinian Co-Director (video)
– Presentation given by Mr. Yona Yahav, Mayor of Haifa,Israel (video)
– Keynote speech by Dr. Yuval Steinitz, Minister of National Infrastructure, Energy and Water Resources, Israel (video)
DAY 2 – November 23, 2016
– Welcoming remarks by Mr. Munqeth Mehyar, EcoPeace Jordanian Co-Director (video)
– Welcoming remarks by Mr. Anders Jagerskog, Swedish International Development Agency (video)
– Presentation on Governance Structures, by SIWI (link to power point presentation)
– International Basin Commissioners – slides used during their panel:
–> ORASECOM (Orange Senqu River) – South African countries
–> SAVA River Basin – Balkan States
–> RHINE River Commission – Central Europe
–> IBWC (Rio Grande and Colorado Rivers) – United States & Mexico
– Speech by Israeli MK Erel Margalit (video)
– Presentation on Financing Models, by SIWI (link to power point presentation)
– Closing remarks by Mr. Munqeth Mehyar (video)